Ceux Qui Bravent les Aigles
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Ceux Qui Bravent les Aigles

Il s'agit d'un forum de reconstituteurs qui représentent des soldats des Puissances Coalisées contre l'empire napoléonien

AccueilAccueil  RechercherRechercher  Dernières imagesDernières images  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Le Deal du moment : -28%
Précommande : Smartphone Google Pixel 8a 5G ...
Voir le deal
389 €

197th birthday of the Glorious Fied of Death

AuteurMessage
gregoire
3rd East Kent Buffs
gregoire

197th birthday of the Glorious Fied of Death Empty
MessageSujet: 197th birthday of the Glorious Fied of Death   197th birthday of the Glorious Fied of Death Icon_minitimeVen 16 Mai - 9:12

197eme aniversaire de Albuera

Donc voici la liste des pertes des Buffs
1st Battalion, 3d Foot
Tués -- 1 captain, 1 lieutenant, 2 ensigns, 4 serjeants, 208 rank and file
Bléssés -- 4 captains, 9 lieutenants, 1 ensign, 11 serjeants, l drummer, 222 rank and file
Disparu -- 2 lieutenants, 15 serjeants, I drummer, 161 rank and file

Apres la battaille le capitaine Stevens qui commandait la companie de l'enseigne Edward Thomas (15 ans qui perrit en defendant les couleur regimenataire lors de la battaille) Ecrivit a l'oncle du jeune homme, La tante ayant a son tour en 1828 transmis la lettre au parlement:

“. . . . The subject to which I allude is the notice your Lordship has been pleased to particularly take of the gallant conduct of my nephew, Ensign Thomas of the Buffs, who fell in that battle bravely defending a colour of his regiment. The little hero was born in Jamaica, and being an orphan, was committed to my care at the age of four years, and was educated and provided for by my husband Doctor Matthews, who was then the surgeon of the same regiment . . . .

“He had, previously to his regiment’s being broken by the French cavalry, taken the command of Captain Steven’s company, there being no other subaltern officer but himself attached to the company, and the captain being wounded at the commencement of the battle. The circumstances are detailed by Captain Steven’s in a letter he wrote to Dr. Matthews from Olivenza four days after the action, which letter I now have before me, and I beg leave to transcribe an extract for your Lordship’s information . . . .

“The extract [from Captain Steven’s letter] runs thus: ‘I cannot refrain from tears, while I relate the determined bravery of your gallant little subaltern, who fell on the 16th instant, covered with glory; and it must in some measure alleviate the grief I know you will feel at his loss, to know he fell like a hero. He rallied my company after I was wounded and taken prisoner, crying out, ‘Rally on me, men, I will be your pivot.’ Such glorious conduct must surely meet its reward in that world where all troubles cease, and all grief is at an end. He was buried with all care possible by a sergeant and a private, the only two survivors out of my company, which consisted of sixty-three men when taken into action.’

‘The colours he died in protecting, it appears he took possession of at the moment the officer who held them was killed, his company being dispersed. This gallant little fellow was not sixteen years of age when he so bravely sacrificed his life for the honour of King and country. His loss was, and still is most painfully felt by me, for he was as truly amiable in his private life as he was gallant and brave in performing his duty to King and country as a soldier. . . .“
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

197th birthday of the Glorious Fied of Death
Page 1 sur 1